Our firm offers advice to companies, financiers, international organisations and government entities. It assists clients in drafting arbitration clauses / agreements at the transactional stage by focusing on risk management and avoidance of potential disputes, in initiating arbitral proceedings and in enforcing arbitral awards before the Turkish courts.
Our firm also assists clients in any proceedings before the Turkish courts. Our litigators have particular expertise in debt recovery proceedings, bankruptcy/insolvency proceedings and in the enforcement of foreign court decisions.
Our lawyers are primarily business lawyers, involved in finance and corporate transactions. Their aim is to help clients to structure and negotiate their transactions in order to avoid the need to go before the Turkish courts or follow the arbitration route in Turkey. However, in the event that our clients still do need advice on litigious or arbitral matters, we are well-equipped to represent our clients before the Turkish courts and arbitral tribunals. We work closely with counsel experienced in the relevant area prior to formulating our approach. Our clients’ success in any high-profile litigation or arbitration is paramount as it defines our own success.
Experience in this practice area includes:
- Advising an international bank regarding the misappropriation of gold bullions and on the consignment and the cancellation of an insurance policy in this regard
- Advising an international bank based in France regarding the cancellation of a Turkish insurance policy
- Advising a subsidiary of a Russian energy company on its dispute with a Turkish energy company in relation to an electricity sale agreement
- Advising an international organisation regarding fraudulent actions committed by a third party and representation of such international organisation before the Turkish courts and Public Prosecutorís Office
- Advising a multinational software and technology company and its group entities in relation to possible criminal and civil actions before Turkish courts
- Advising a multinational corporation in relation to litigation proceedings initiated against its Turkish agent
- Advising a non-domestic client in relation to the enforcement of a foreign judgment in Turkey in accordance with the Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance executed between Turkey and Romania
- Advising a German entity on the enforcement of a German court decision in Turkey
- Representing an international insurance company in arbitration proceedings regarding the enforcement of an insurance policy
- Advising a Turkish ingredient supplier on its dispute with various international sellers of grain products in respect of Gafta and Fosfa contracts and related arbitration proceedings
For more information, please see the following published articles:
- Serdar Bezen and Utku Kerem Kırklar “Arbitration in Turkey”, Getting the Deal Through - Arbitration 2009
- Serdar Bezen, “The Stance Of The Turkish Courts In The Adoption Of The New York Convention – The Road From Opposition To Acceptance”, Mealey’s Executive Summary, The New York Convention: 50 Years of Experience, October 2008, pp. 114-119
- Serdar Bezen, “Turkey Adopts the UNCITRAL Model Law”, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, Vol.16, Issue 8 , pp. 42-43
- Serdar Bezen, “Recent Developments in International Commercial Arbitration in Turkey”, Arbitration, Vol. 67, Issue 2 , pp. 155-175
- Serdar Bezen, “Recent Developments in International Arbitration in Turkey”, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, Vol.16, Issue 2 , pp. 32-64
For a detailed capability statement or to contact one of our arbitration lawyers, please call or email us on +90 (0) 212 366 68 68 or firstname.lastname@example.org.